In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Harbourside, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1912

Contributed by Great Harbor Maritime Museum
MMN Item 21068 Item Details
Harbourside, Northeast Harbor, ca. 1912
MMN Item 21068 Zoom


It wasn't only the local people who realized the potential profit to be made from the newly arrived rusticators. Summer people like James Terry Gardiner realized this potential and acted upon it. Harbourside was a development initiated by James Terry Gardiner, son-in-law of Bishop W.C. Doane, of speculation houses. These houses would have no kitchens, so he also constructed the Harbourside Inn to serve as cooking and dining facilities. At the time the Harbourside community was being built, it was referred to as "Shingleville" because all the houses were of shingle construction. With the exception of a couple of houses, nearly all the houses built at Harbourside at this time period (1890-1915) were designed by Fred Savage. This picture shows some of the more "modern" houses of Harbourside compared to the oldest. The barn of the Charles Frazier house (likely constructed in the 1870s) can be seen in the left of this picture. All the land that turned into Harbourside was once a part of what turned into the Frazier property. In the center of the post card is Rocky Pasture built in 1902. To the right of Rocky Pasture is Harbourvilla, still under construction. It was constructed to Fred Savage plans in 1912 to be a summer rental cottage owned M.T. Ober. To the right of Harbourvilla is Fiddler's Green, followed by Hillbrook. On the hill is the long, low Brackenfell.

This post card was shared with the Great Harbor Maritime Museum courtesy of Maine Historic Preservation Commission.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.