In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Great Harbor Maritime Museum

Announcement for the Opening of St. Mary's By the Sea, 1882

Contributed by Great Harbor Maritime Museum
MMN Item 21072 Item Details
Announcement for the Opening of St. Mary's By the Sea, 1882
MMN Item 21072 Zoom

Description

After arriving in Northeast Harbor in 1880 and staying in the home of Squire Daniel Kimball, Bishop William Crosswell Doane built his house Magnum Donum in 1881. He first began holding church services at Squire Kimball's. In 1881, he suggested constructing a church. The land was donated, and the next year, the St. Mary's By-the Sea opened. The church was called the slab chapel because the exterior covering was large slabs of rough lumber with the bark still attached. This church served until the turn of the century, when it was decided a larger, more substantial church needed to be built for worship. In 1902, St. Mary's By-the Sea large stone church was finished.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.