In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Northeast Harbor school bell, ca. 1881

Contributed by Great Harbor Maritime Museum
MMN Item 21074 Item Details
Northeast Harbor school bell, ca. 1881
MMN Item 21074 Zoom


This bell came from the second school in Northeast Harbor, which was built in 1881. Prior to the Union Church being built next door, the building was also used for religious services.

It was used as a school until 1896 when the new school was built. At that point it was moved to Main Street and used as a livery. The building was torn down in the 1970s.

Education in Northeast Harbor began in the 1870s with a school at the base of Schoolhouse Ledge and was used until 1881, when the old school was relocated and used for other purposes. The second school, where this bell came from was constructed in 1881 and was used as a school, church, and occasionally a free high school.

In 1896, Fred L. Savage designed the new school, but it was not used on a regular basis. In 1905, Daniel Coit Gilman, first president of Johns Hopkins, and Dr. William R. Huntington arranged a special town meeting to voice their displeasure about the irregularity of public high schooling.

They said that the summer people wouldn't mind having their taxes increased if it was for the "general welfare" of the children. This prompted more regular education practices beginning in 1906, and the school was enlarged in 1907. The school was named Gilman High School in honor of Daniel Coit Gilman.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.